Monday 31 December 2012

The End of an era

It is the last day of the year that mankind was not supposed to survive.

I have learnt so much over the past year. I have failed at many points but I have also achieved many of my dreams. I have a lot to be thankful for and I have even bigger dreams for the year ahead.

2012 has been such an incredible journey and I wanted to take a few moments to list (yes, those again!) the situations I have learnt the most from:

  1. University Conference: As the President of the university conference I learnt a lot about how to manage my team, learn from mistakes and think on my feet. I am so grateful that I learnt this now rather than later
  2. A cheating boyfriend: As I have shown in my past posts, this has been an experience that I never wanted to have, but it has made me so much stronger as a person and given me the ability to prioritise myself. I have also learnt about what it takes to make a relationship work and exactly what I want from a guy
  3. Job applications: I was extremely lucky with my applications for internships in Easter. I learnt what works in an interview, and how to make sure I stay ahead of the competition. My roommate, Britney, refers to me as a CBT - a Cut-Throat Bitch - in the world of business and I am happy that I learnt this skill early!
  4. Trusting people: this is related to number 2 (above) but having been through that I finally learnt to let friends in and trust people again. It has been such a long time since I trusted people and I would just hold all my thoughts and emotions in
  5. Health: I have a new found urgency to improve my health. I want to gain weight drastically as I have lost so much over the past year and I realise that I am making myself ill which will affect my performance in every part of my life
These were the main lessons that 2012 taught me and I am a different person today than I was at the start of the year.

I still remember my wish at the beginning of the year. I wished for "A year better than the last" and I didn't get it. But instead I got "A better person today than last year" and I definitely think I traded up.

No comments:

Post a Comment