Tuesday 1 January 2013

Welcome 2013!

Happy New Year, World!

I have never been quite so excited about a new beginning as I am today. Everything feels welcoming and a fresh start seems more promising now. It is also the time of the year when everyone hastily notes down their New Year Resolutions.

I have been thinking about mine for some time now and there is a long long list of what I want to achieve this year. So, here, in no particular order are some of my aims for the upcoming year:

  1. Health: I want to get into a routine work-out mode and gain weight. I am currently 43kg and my optimal weight is 56kg so I need to work hard to get to that stage. I already have a (very expensive and unused) gym membership which I need to start utilising. The best way of doing this would be to start going to the gym in the mornings or evenings, but I need to pick a time and stick to it
  2. Studies: I am behind on so many of my modules that I really need to stop procrastinating and start focusing on my work more. This means no Facebook, and more time at the library
  3. Career: I have a confirmed internship for the summer, but I need to prepare myself to make sure that I do not lose out on getting the most out of the experience. I want a job offer by the end of next summer
  4. Fun: this is my second year at university and I really need to join a club or society or just choose an activity I enjoy and start participating more - doing the things I enjoy
  5. Relationship: I want to wait until I find someone I genuinely think I would work well with before dating again. I need to prioritise myself over a relationship. Another aspect of this is focusing on my friendships and strengthening the existing relationships I have
  6. Risk-taking: I want this to be a year where I learn to put myself out there and don't care about the consequences. It is about living in the moment. I want to take a sky-diving course over the summer and before that I want to promise myself that whatever decision I make would be made with a conscious awareness of "You Only Live Once"
These are my main goals and over the next few days I will work towards specifying how I intend to achieve this.

This is a new start for me after the worst year of my life and I want to end 2013 with a note that it was the best year of my life. It is time to stop regretting the past and to move on with all the best hopes for the future.

Song for the start of the year:

Brand New Me - Alicia Keys


Handbook 2013: One of my close friends just sent me a (very) long text entitled "Handbook 2013". There are boxed next to each one numbered suggestion to, I assume, tick off when you find that you are regularly following the said suggestion. It seems interesting enough to share:


              HEALTH
  1. Drink plenty of water.
  2. Eat Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince & dinner like a beggar.
  3. Live with the 3 E's-- Energy, Enthusiasm & Empathy.
  4. Play more games.
  5. Read more books than you did in 2012.
  6. Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes each day.
  7. Sleep for 7 hours.
  8. Take a 10-30 minutes walk daily And while you walk, smile.

          PERSONALITY
  1. Don't over do. Keep your limits.
  2. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
  3. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.
  4. Dream more while you are awake.
  5. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.
  6. Forget issues of the past. Don't remind your partner with his/her mistakes of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.
  7. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.
  8. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.
  9. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
  10. Smile and laugh more.
  11. You don't have to win every argument,Agree to disagree.

               SOCIETY
  1. Call your family often.
  2. Each day give something good to others.
  3. Forgive everyone for everything.
  4. Spend time with people over the age of 70 & under the age of 6.
  5. Try to make at least three people smile each day.
  6. What other people think of you is none of your business.

                  LIFE
  1. Do the right thing!
  2. However good or bad a situation is, it will  change.
  3. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up. The best is yet to come.
  4. When awake in the morning thank GOD for it.
  5. Your Inner most is always happy. So, be happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment