Sunday 16 December 2012

The myth of "The One"

Today I realised that one of the main reasons as to why I was finding it hard to move on was because of my belief that there would never be anyone else like Adam in my life again. Someone who understood me like he did, who got my sense of humour and who I never got bored of. Then I realised that there was no logical fact that supported this.

Have I even met all the guys at my university to come to this conclusion? Say I have 50 things that makes my perfect guy. That makes the guy "The One" in my life. Adam met about 20 of these and suddenly I feel that no-one else will?

Being an economist, I should really consider this statistically. With 7 billion people on the planet, and approximately half of them men, even if you account for the married, too old, too young, gay, taken, not interested, it will still leave at least 1 billion men out there who have the possibility of fitting the role of my perfect guy.

I seem to have given up on the idea of ever finding someone else to fall for. This is probably because Adam was my first boyfriend. But he was also a really good lesson. I've learnt so much. I know what it will take to make a relationship work. I understand my role in a relationship better and I know now what I want from the next guy.

I will meet him. He's out there somewhere and he's probably looking for me too. It means so much to me that I have finally realised that "The One" is not an absolute term. It can be applied to so many guys. There can be many "Ones" in my life. I just need to wait for the next one to walk into my life.

Adam had a lot of things that the new guy won't have, but the new guy will have a lot of things that Adam never did either. Someone once told me, we are all unique - just like everyone else. And every girl deserves to have the "One" in their life who would treat them right. It seems obvious that Adam wasn't the One. He wouldn't have cheated otherwise. He would have done anything to prove himself to me, but he couldn't even let one of those girls go.

I will find him and I will be the only girl in his world. He'll be the only love in mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment