Thursday 13 December 2012

Half-way through the 'Best 3 years of my life'

Today a friend pointed out that we were half-way through our university career and I have never been so shocked by something so obvious.

Before (and since) I started university, I've constantly had people telling me that "it will be the best three years of your life". I have to say, with my experiences so far, this is looking to be the worst time of my life. Sure, I loved first year.

Freshers, parties, alcohol, music, boys, freedom, no work. It was the perfect combination for the 'best time ever'. But since then, the reality has set in.

Parties have lost their touch, the hangover has become too complicated to deal with, and the merciless second-year timetable forces me to wake up for a 9am class or lecture 3 or 4 times a week (how many of these I actually make, is up for question). Alcohol is either too cheap to enjoy or too expensive on a student budget. Boys turned out to be either cheats or not worth trying for. Freedom has stopped being such a big deal. Sure, parents don't yell at you to go to bed by 11pm, but the return of going to bed at 3am is a failed essay or two. And doing no work means that though first year was a fluke pass, second-year will almost certainly be a fail.

The only think which has stayed attractive is music. Though my playlist has gone from "Let the Sunshine" - Labyrinth to "Over it" - Katharine McPhee. I even have a playlist on my ipod called "Moving On" and another one titled "Happy".

Most importantly, I feel like I've not learnt enough. It has been a year and a half. I have nothing to show for it. I HAVE learnt life lessons. I have learnt the following:

  • Don't trust boys - don't let them play with your heart
  • Don't become nocturnal - teachers only teach during day-light hours
  • Pasta can't be cooked in a kettle
  • Always label your food when you put it in the communal kitchen and don't expect to ever see it again once you leave
  • Keep your friends close, but don't rely on them too much - everyone is busy
  • Dressing well is a good idea - stick to the norm, experimenting is looked at as 'odd'
  • Make connections and then try to remember how you made them
  • Don't ever get an annual membership at the gym
  • Don't study economics - it gives you absolutely no skills whatsoever

But things I really should have learnt:

  • How to solve the Lagrangian
  • How to dream big and start my own business
  • How to not waste time with guys and get a First in my exams instead
  • How to keep fit - eat healthy and exercise
  • Become popular - I have all the necessary traits, just lack the basic shyness-removing skills
  • How to attract all the cute guys (not 2's like Adam)
  • How to make a name for myself and make a mark on the world
  • E-C-O-N-O-M-I-C-S (I am still failing?)

Perhaps I can still learn these. Half-way means half-left too, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment