Wednesday 9 January 2013

Couch 2 5K

As you may have seen, I recently came up with a list to motivate me to achieve my goals and do what I've wanted to do for a while. So, I finally got started.

Yesterday I finished my third run of the first-week of the Couch 2 5K programme.

"Get fit" has been on the top of my New Year Resolution list for a while now and every year the crazy enthusiasm lasts, at most, a week. Then I slip back into my inactive, computer and TV lounging state. This year I decided to make the aim more specific. I intend to do a 5km run for Cancer Research, called Race For Life.

To prepare for this, I was planning to just have a go on the treadmill as often as possible, before I stumbled across the C25K plan which is a 9 week plan to get couch potatoes, like yours truly, into running. Even when I have been to the gym, I have avoided the treadmill like the plague simply because I despise running.

Nevertheless, once I had written the list, in black marker pen (this way I couldn't cheat by erasing it and changing the 'thing to do'), I decided the time had come for me to become a champion runner and I started the same day. That was last Thursday. The first session was absolutely gruelling as I was out of breath after the first few minutes. But I kept at it in the hope that it will get easier as I continued for the next few weeks.

The second and third sessions were just as bad, if not worse, than the first and I kept thinking that if this is the first week programme, how on earth would I manage the second week? I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I start.

No comments:

Post a Comment