Saturday 30 March 2013

"Babies are people."





Claire Elizabeth: Maaaaaan 

Amy: Exactly, man-up.


Claire Elizabeth: But surely if you wanna get tough you should woman up? Cos men have testicles and they're pathetic and delicate. But vaginas are like hardcore, they're built to take a pounding, and squeeze people out of?

Amy: haha I've heard that before. Lol not "people" claire! BABIES. Eww. You shouldn't have 'people' up there

Claire Elizabeth: Are babies not people too? Do they have no rights?

Amy: I can't believe I'm having this convo at quarter to midnight on good friday. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to deny the rights of half-baked humankind.

Claire Elizabeth: You reckon there's a better time to have it? C'mon there's no time like the present :p

Amy: True. But I think this conversation would have been funnier when you are in labour :p "push that person out of there!"

Claire Elizabeth: Haha when? If lol surely :p yes I shall push this small person out of me! Awk if it turned out to be a dwarf or something...

Amy: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha wow. I just fell about laughing. How do you tell the baby is a dwarf though when it's a baby? Unless you mean an actual dwarf, then that'll be some busted vagina.

Claire Elizabeth: No I mean a baby who will grow into a dwarf (though maybe grow isn't the right word there...) I dno, do they look weird or something?


Amy: Maybe you're confusing an elf with a dwarf? Then you'll be able to tell by his ears. Sorted.

Claire Elizabeth: :D haha no cos elf's are proper sized -_-

Amy: That's disturbed.

Amy: No they're not. Not all of them are like the Elf from elf

Claire Elizabeth: Its cool, its her baby...

Claire Elizabeth: Yes they are! Don't ruin this for me!

Amy: No they're not. They are tinier than humans. You'll lived the illusion long enough, woman-up and grow-up.

Claire Elizabeth: Nooo in eragon they're full scale humans aren't they? 

Amy: Lol now you're bringing up that? Erm yes, but IT IS A LIE.


I had the above hilarious conversation with one of my friends yesterday about babies being referred to as 'people'. It is weird, but I never actually considered them as that. They are too perfect, too naive and too young. I believe becoming a person is something the world around you teaches you, but that would take simply take away the humour from the conversation.


Nevertheless, this seems like the perfect time to reflect on the past and what we learn from our childhood.


Sometimes it is worth remembering that we are all born without expectations and beliefs, which are cultivated over the years as we grow up and develop through our experiences and interactions with society. It seems easy to forget that we didn't always think the way we do now. I know that I am mistrustful of many people I meet even for the first time - the first impressions often take years to erode, but as a baby did we think twice about doubting the stranger who was making us giggle in that very moment?


There are many lessons we can learn from babies which I wish I could apply into my life now.



Lesson 1

Trust wholeheartedly.

While writing this I am hesitating on its validity. But I think it is important not to have misconceptions about people before getting to know them and 'where they come from'. I am too judgemental about the way people have acted with me once so that I deny them the opportunity of getting to know me again.



Lesson 2

Forgive and forget.

Ever met a young child after a few years? I have seen several of my cousins few years later and they have absolutely no recollection of what happened previously. They miss you for a few hours and then they forget you exist and become enveloped in the present instead. They forgive mistakes just as easily and never remember that you were the one who gave them that horrible tasting medicine that made them cry!


They will simply accept anything you give them again.



Lesson 3

Be generous with your love.

I recently visited my mom at the school where she teaches 5-year olds. Once I had gotten over the shock of how tiny these kids were, I saw that they were so affectionate towards me within a few moments.


One girl came up to me and showed me the latest drawing she had made and told me I was pretty. I was taken aback, but couldn't stop myself feeling the warm glow in my heart because the compliment was given so generously - she expected nothing back.


We should try to do the same and give love generously to people. I have been guilty of holding my love back in the past too much.


Lesson 4

Believe in miracles.

Now I can't convince myself that the magic coin my dad "finds" behind my ear is a miracle, but my baby cousin certainly does. Her eyes widen as she claps her stubby hands in delight.


I want to start believing in miracles again and stop feeling like everything is bad in the world. Sure, my life is not based on a fairytale, but seeing the beauty in every day things, for example, seeing the seasons change and walking along the Thames at night is a beautiful experience and I want to treasure it.


I also want to believe in the miracle of falling in love. It happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment